Passionflower is a climbing vine native to the Amazon rainforest, used to treat various conditions, including anxiety, insomnia, and gastrointestinal problems. This herbal remedy has a long history of use in traditional medicine, with recent scientific studies proving its effectiveness.
Improving Gut Health the Natural Way
Passionflower is beneficial for gut health because it contains compounds that can help to reduce inflammation. Inflammation contributes to many gut-related disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Passionflower is generally considered safe, with drowsiness being the most common side effect.
Passionflower to Reduce Anxiety
Anxiety is a healthy response to a sudden and unexpected stressor, but it can become debilitating when it becomes constant. Anxiety can significantly impact relationships, health, work performance, and self-esteem.
Passionflower is effective in treating anxiety because it helps to increase levels of a chemical in our brain, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which plays a role in regulating our mood. GABA helps to regulate nerve activity and has a calming effect on the nervous system, which is essential in helping us respond to stress.
Passionflower has been shown to be effective in reducing anxiety in several studies. Studies have found Passionflower to be as effective as commonly prescribed anxiety medications (benzodiazepines) with fewer side effects. Passionflower was also found more effective than placebo in reducing anxiety before surgery. Additionally, Passionflower has been shown to be effective for treating generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and was found to be as effective as the medications oxazepam or midazolam.
Passionflower, Magnesium, B6, Probiotics, & L-Theanine: A Winning Combination for Anxiety Relief
Anxiety impacts more than just our mood; it can also cause a range of uncomfortable physical symptoms, including:
- Stomach problems
- A sensation of pins and needles
- Difficulty breathing
- Racing/pounding heart
- Muscle aches
The good news is that there are all-natural options that help reduce some of those symptoms. bekome is a mental wellness company that formulated a winning blend of ingredients in its Peace of Mind Daily Packs proven to work, backed by science. The ingredients work together to provide all-day relief; the best part is they are ethically sourced!
Click here to learn more about bekome.
- Passionflower is an herb used for centuries to treat various ailments, including anxiety and gut health issues.
- Passionflower is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce inflammation in the gut.
- Passionflower can also help to reduce anxiety by acting as a sedative.
- Janda K, Wojtkowska K, Jakubczyk K, Antoniewicz J, Skonieczna-Żydecka K. Passiflora incarnata in Neuropsychiatric Disorders-A Systematic Review. Nutrients. 2020 Dec 19;12(12):3894. doi: 10.3390/nu12123894. PMID: 33352740; PMCID: PMC7766837.
- Passionflower. Mount Sinai Health System. (n.d.). Retrieved December 5, 2022, from https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/herb/passionflower
- Bokelmann, J. M. (2022). Passionflower (passiflora incarnata). Medicinal Herbs in Primary Care, 515–522. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-323-84676-9.00063-5